It seems that everyone is searching for happiness. When I Googled happiness I got 349 million results.
Is happiness something we can find or is it something that we will always be chasing? We can capture temporary happiness in the present. Many times it is a decision rather than a state. If you decide you are going to be happy your likelihood of achieving it is much higher.
You don’t have to be rich materially to be happy. I have met some very happy people in places where the people are poor economically. Many people have temporary happiness when they purchase something, but find that happiness wears out quickly and the “thing” no longer makes them happy.
I have spent time over the years pondering what makes people happy. People seem to be most happy when they are giving or doing something for others. It does not take money. It just takes your time.
Here 7 ideas to create more happiness in your life:
1) Perform daily acts of charity. During your morning reflection time think of things you can do to serve other people. What nice things can you do for one of your family members, a friend or somebody at work today?
2) Do a service project. Many employers and church organizations have projects like Habitat for Humanity, serving homeless shelters, painting projects for seniors and many other projects to help others. Do at least one of these each year.
3) Write a note to a friend or your spouse. A handwritten note can be powerful for the person receiving it. Send your spouse a love letter. Send a friend a letter letting them know how they have affected your life. Write a note to one of your children letting them know how special they are.
4) Do something fun. Go do an activity with your spouse, family or friends. Do something that you enjoy and have not done for a while.
5) Write down 5 things per day that you are grateful for. A lot of people use a gratitude journal to record these. Gratitude is one of the keys to being happier.
6) Create Memories. Memories are created by doing things not by buying things. Things wear out, but memories last a lifetime. Think of some of your best memories. Write them down. Talk about them with your family at your next family dinner.
7) Pray for others. Pray for the people that you know that are sick, have marital issues or have other needs on a daily basis. Prayer is powerful.
We will only find true happiness in the Lord. We were made to know, love and serve Him. In eternity we will find all the happiness we seek.